We took some of fat out of the classic recipe and added a gourmet touch!
- 1 bag spinach egg noodles
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 14.5 oz. chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon Feisty Fish Rub
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes – drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 can albacore tuna, in water, no salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray 9 x 12 casserole with cooking spray.
Cook noodles in salted water until al dente (slightly undercooked by 2 minutes). Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large deep skillet. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and cook on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas until warm. Remove veggies from pan and set aside.
Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat
Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined, increasing heat to medium and whisking well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a low boil. Stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat, add celery, mushrooms and peas, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer on medium, mixing occasionally until it thickens (about 7 to 9 minutes). Add diced tomatoes.
Add drained tuna and Feisty Fish Rub, stirring another minute.
Remove from heat and add 1 cup parmesan cheese and mix well until it melts. Add the noodles to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
Pour into casserole and top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray and top and bake for about 25 minutes.
Place under the broiler a few minutes to get the crumbs crisp (careful not to burn).