Suzi’s Black-Eyed Pea Cakes – Serves – 4
Serve this with brown rice dusted with Wow-A Chihuahua too for an easy, vegetarian meal. Or, make cornbread muffins and add Wow-A Chihuahua to the batter as well.
Suzi’s Black-Eyed Pea Cakes
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1- teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 - 15.8 oz. can of no-slat black-eyed peas rinsed and drained, or cook your own black-eyed peas
- ¼ dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon Wow-A Chihuahua
- ½ teaspoon salt – optional
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white lightly beaten
- 1- tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine sour cream and adobo sauce in a small bowl and place back in refrigerator. You can freeze the extra adodo sauce for several months in an airtight container.
- Place peas in a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs and next 7 ingredients (through egg white).
- With floured hands, divide the pea mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into ¼” patty.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties to the pan and cook 2 minutes on either side or until golden and thoroughly heated. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon of the shredded cheese and top with sour cream.