Chickpea Soup with Roasted Brussels Sprouts - a vegan delight
This is a recipe I borrowed from Hetty McKinnon. Fabulous using our Golden MoJo. We devoured it.
- 2 cans Chickpeas - rinsed and drained
- 1 large Sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Golden MoJo seasoning
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 4 cups Vegetable stock - we used Better than Boullion
- 1 can Coconut Milk - unsweetened
- 10 Brussels sprouts - cut into small wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions and cilantro
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, Golden MoJo, thyme, and a pinch of salt and cook for 3–4 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the chickpeas, along with the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig and stir in the coconut milk.
- Preheat oven to 375 while the soup is simmering, place the Brussels sprouts in an oven-proof dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper (we season them with our Rowdy Kitty Rub). Stir a couple of times while roasting for about 20 minutes or until they are crispy and turning brown.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. If it's too thick, add a little water.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with Brussels sprouts, scallions, cilantro, and toasted pumpkin seeds.