I actually came up with this recipe because I wanted to get over my attitude towards catfish. I guess perhaps it was the visual appearance. As I learned more about them, catfish are remarkable fish. From the order of Siluriformes, they are a divergent group of ray-finned fish. Thousands of species and the 2nd largest in the vertebra order!
Don’t let those whiskers fool you, these fish are delicious, plentiful, and available through your local food market. There are many safe farms that practice green and healthy methods for propagating these tasty fish. Learn more on Wiki.
Makes 6 large or 14 small bite-size cakes.
These fooled everyone. My family thought they were crab cakes. I made them as small appetizer-sized cakes, and they evaporated. The best part? They were so easy to make. Try them and they will become one your bests.
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayo - add more if they need to stick together more
- 2 teaspoons Feisty Fish Rub
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely crushed round butter crackers
- 1 egg
- Canola oil for pan frying
- Place catfish in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil and then simmer until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain off water and pat dry. Mash up with a fork and place in a bowl.
- Add chopped onion, mustard, mayo, Feisty Fish Rub, cracker crumbs and egg. Mix well until blended.
- Heat enough canola oil to a depth if 1/4”.
- Form mixture into small patties for appetizers or larger ones for entrée portion. Form and roll as if a cookie.
- Flatten and fry in hot oil until golden brown and then flip and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on towels.
- Serve with red pepper sauce or remoulade sauce if desired.