This little ditty is the BOMB! Grab a jar of Wow-A Chihuahua and have a healthy and flavorful taste! You can make the cakes to size. Small for a party or appetizer or big like a pancake for dinner.
Costa Maya Corncakes
- 1 pint of heirloom or red cherry tomato's finely chopped and drained in a colander
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions green onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon more if you like it hot of Wow-A Chihuahua
- 1/2 of a white or sweet onion medium size finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 of a fresh squeezed lime
- Mix everything together and pop in the refrigerator while you make the corncakes.
- 1 cup Masa Harina aka corn flour
- 1 Tablespoon Wow-a Chihuahua
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup Queso Fresco - white crumbly Mexican cheese
- 1 cup warm water
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream
- Diced avocado is also optional
- Mix Masa Harina, flour, Wow-A chihuahua, baking powder, queso fresco, in a medium bowl with a whisk. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of EVOO over top of mixture and stir to form a course meal with some pea sized pieces. add 1 cup WARM water and stir until dough forms. Divide dough into 16 balls and flatten to form a 2" pancake. I made these as a main course so made them the size of a medium pancake. Heat EVOO or Canola if you prefer, in a skillet. Add cakes and cook until they set and are golden brown about 2 to 3 minutes. Brush cakes with a little oil then flip and finish cooking another 2 to 3 minutes. Top the corncakes with the salsa, (avocado if desired) crema Mexicana, and a dash of Wow-A Chihuahua. Then indulge yourself.