Easy and delicious, this is great party fare. I serve this roast every holiday at our open house and get rave reviews. If you feel like really splurging, buy a beef tenderloin. It can be served warm or at room temperature. For party fare, shave the roast and serve on small rolls for gourmet sandwiches with a dollop of garlic sauce.
The garlic mayo sauce is a perfect complement for this roast and can be kept in the fridge for leftover sandwiches. If you want to cut calories substitute the regular mayo and sour cream for reduced fat versions. But what fun is that?!
Beef with Black Dog Rub and Garlic Sauce
- 3 - 4 pound Sirloin tip top round, or rump roast
- Olive oil
- 3 - 4 tbsp. Black Dog Belly Rub™
- Garlic Mayo Sauce see recipe below
Garlic Mayo Sauce - I make a day in advance so everything melds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Garlic Mayo Sauce
- Mix together and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve on the side with the roast.
- Beef Roast
- Try to have the roast close to room temperature before putting in the oven. I usually bring the roast out an hour before cooking. If you have labs like we do, make sure you put the roast in a secure place like the microwave or up high so they don't eat it.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Coat the roast with olive oil, then rub 3-4 tbsp. of Black Dog Belly Rub onto the roast. Make sure the roast is completely coated with the rub. Use more Belly Rub if needed.
- Place roast in roasting pan and put on the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast at 450° for 15 minutes and then turn heat down to 350° and cook for another 30 to 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 130° or medium rare. DO NOT overcook!
- Let the roast sit before slicing for at least 10 minutes. Slice very thin (try a little taste yourself). Then pat yourself on the back.