This is a fabulous meatless meal served with a salad.
Savory Mushroom Tart
- One of my favorite places to find great recipes is Canada's LCBO. Unlike the States they encourage pairings wine, and liquor with recipes and cheese, etc. This recipe was slightly modified by replacing the salt with a couple of our seasonings. Antler Rub in crust (fabulous) and Black Dog Belly Rub in the filling. After all, our black lab Rylee, won the Canadian National Championship Stake at the age of 2-1/2, piloted by Dan DeVos! Oh Canada, I miss you!
- 2 cups 500 mL All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Awesome Antler Rub
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL salt
- 1 cup 250 mL cold butter, diced
- 1 cup 250 mL cream cheese, diced
- 4 tbsp 25 mL butter - divided
- 2 tbsp 25 mL flour
- 8 oz 250 g fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 8 oz 250 g wild mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup 250 mL whipping cream
- 1 tbsp 15 mL lemon juice
- 1/4 cup 50 mL chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Black Dog Belly Rub
Place flour and Awesome Antler Rub in food processor. Scatter butter and ground pecans on top. With on-off motion, pulse together. Remove from processor and form into ball. Chill for 30 minutes.
Using your hands form pastry into a tart pan (you can also make small tarts) or muffin tins. Chill until needed.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Heat 2 tbsp butter in skillet, add mushrooms and sauté 5 to 10 minutes until juices disappear and they start to brown. Remove from heat and put in bowl. Melt 2 tbsp butter in saucepan and add flour and stir until blended and the color starts to turn a light brown. Add garlic and cream, bring to a slow simmer and stir in cream cheese cubes, add lemon juice, green onion and Black Dog Belly Rub. Stir until thickened. Spoon into tart pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is edged with gold, and mushroom filling is hot. Turn out of tins and cool 10 minutes. These may be frozen on cookie sheets, placed in freezer containers and reheated from frozen state at 350°F (180°C) for 15 minutes or until filling is hot.