– Kim, Wickliffe, Ohio
Well, its winter and Lake Effect has taken hold. This recipe is the perfect comfort food after an afternoon of shoveling. Easy, and satisfying! Serve with the salad greens recipe under Gallopin’ Gourmet Shake™.
- About 3 cups of chicken broth
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Flour and milk to thicken sauce
- 1 tbsp. Black Dog Belly Rub™
- Prepared Bisquick mix or Pillsbury biscuits in the can
- Chopped onion
- Chopped celery
- Sliced carrots or mini carrots
- Peeled, diced potatoes
- Frozen peas
- Any other vegetables you like (summer squash or zucchini are good, too)
- Bring the broth to a simmer and poach the chicken breasts for about 20 minutes, then take them out to cool. (I sometimes add seasoning to the broth - use your favorite dried herbs).
- Add the hard veggies first (the ones that take longest to cook - carrots, celery and onions), and add the potatoes after a few minutes.
- Add the peas a few minutes before all the veggies are done (so they don't overcook and turn to mush).
- When the chicken has cooled, chop it into bite size pieces and return to the pot with the veggies. Thicken with a flour-milk mixture (like making gravy) and stir until it boils.
- Turn off the heat and assemble the pie.
- In a casserole dish, start with the wet mixture but don't fill it too high.
- Drop the Bisquick biscuits/canned biscuits over the top of the mixture, but not too close, because they will rise and spread.
- Bake in a 400° oven for about 20 minutes, or until the biscuits are slightly browned.
- This re-heats well in the microwave, too.