– Kim, Wickliffe, Ohio
Red Dog Beans and Rice
- 1 lb. dried kidney beans, rinsed and soaked
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained and liquid reserved
- 2½ cups water (use reserved tomato liquid and add water to make 2½ cups)
- 1 tbsp. Red Dog Rub™
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 lb. sliced smoked sausage
- 1½ tsp. dried minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Soak kidney beans for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Put beans, water and tomato liquid, Red Dog Rub and bay leaves in a heavy Dutch oven and heat to simmer.
- In another pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion, celery and carrots until soft, then add those, plus the drained tomatoes, to the beans.
- Add the other dried ingredients to the beans.
- In the same pan that the vegetables were sautéed, sauté the sliced sausage and drain any fat before adding to the beans.
- Simmer, partially covered, for about 90 minutes, stirring frequently (so the beans don't stick).
- It's ready when the beans are soft.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.