Sally's Squirrel with Spice and Dried Fruit
- My friend told me this was the best squirrel he has ever eaten:-)
- 4 squirrels - skinned and cut into six pieces each
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Dog Sweet Shake
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup each of : raisins, cherries, currents, chopped apricots, and cranberries
- 2 cups water or port wine
- 1 additional tablespoon Yellow Dog Sweet Shake
- Need a slow cooker or dutch oven
- Put the flour, spice and pepper in a bag and mix. Put squirrel pieces in the bag and shake until coated. shake off excess flour. Heat bacon grease in cast iron skillet until hot. Sear and brown squirrel on both sides. Remove and put on paper towel.
- Add dried fruit, water or port wine into crock pot or dutch oven (if you are using a dutch oven the oven needs to be preheated to 325). Add squirrel and cook for 2 to 3 hours.