Coco' Going Bananas Cake
Take your overripe bananas and put them to work in this luscious recipe
Banana Cake Mix
- 2-1/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1-2/3 C sugar
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Dog Sweet Shake
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 C shortening
- 2/3 C buttermilk or sour milk (2 teaspoons lemon juice and add milk to make 2/3 cup)
- 2/3 C mashed ripe bananas (ones that are starting to get brown spots)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C choped walnuts
- 13 whole walnuts
Banana Butter Cream Frosting
- 4 C confectioners sugar
- 2 sticks butter - soft
- 3/4 of a whole ripe mashed banana (ones that have brown spots)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Banana Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and stir together
- Add shortening, mashed bananas, and sour milk. Mix until flour is dampened. Beat vigorusly for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs and beat 2 minutes longer
- Stir in 2/3 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Pour cake mix into two 9" round pans (be sure to grease and lightly flour them. Bake at 350 for about 18 to 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. If not, give the cake a couple more minutes until the toothpick comes out clean.
- After 10 minutes of cooling invert cake onto a wire rack and completely cool before frosting.
Banana Buttercream Frosting
- Cream butter well. Add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time until mixed. Before you add the last cup of confectioners sugar, add the egg white, maple syrup, vanilla, and mashed bananas. Continue mixing until the frosting reaches a consistency that will spread and not melt. If you need to thicken it up, add 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and mix until thick enough to spread and hold. Take one of the cake rounds (the one which has the flattest top ) and place it top-side down on a cake plate or platter. Spread a little frosting on the top of the cake, then take the second cake round and place directly over the first layer. Spread the frosting around the sides and work up (don't rush). Take your time and make sure the frosting is even. Finish the top by using a little Yellow Dog Sweet Shake on top as a sprinkle. Then evenly space the whole walnuts on the outer edge as shown in the photo. Put one whole walnut in the very center.