A delicious, nutritious, and easy side that everyone loves. You can adjust the number of potatoes to the crowd. These are also wonderful as leftovers, so more is better than less. Don’t remove the skin, that’s where all the good stuff is. (Note: There is no salt added in this rub. Be sure to add sea salt to your taste.)
Awesome Spuds or Roasted Root Vegetables
- Potatoes - I use a combination of fingerling Yukon gold, the purple ones, and small red skins–whatever is around the house. Just don't use Idaho or Russet, they are a bit too powdery for this recipe.
- Our ratio for a group of 8:
- 3 pounds of a combination...small redskins fingerling, etc., any quantity of parsnips, carrots, canned small whole beets, onions, any root veggie is good.
- Olive oil - enough to coat the veggies
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Awesome Antler Rub™
- Optional: extra dried rosemary and fresh ground black pepper to taste if you like.
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Rinse potatoes and use a soft veggie brush to scrub off any dirt from potatoes. Be careful not to remove the skin off the potatoes.
- Dry potatoes on a terry cloth towel.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size chunks and place in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray for easy cleanup.
- Coat potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of Awesome Antler Rub over the potatoes. If you like them a bit more peppery and savory then you can add a little more fresh ground pepper and dried rosemary. I'm a garlic fan so I always add a little more granulated garlic too.
- Mix well and put in oven on middle rack.
- Roast at 450° for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and a little crusty.
- Cut veggies in large bite-size pieces–they shrink a little.
- Toss with olive oil and generously sprinkle with Awesome Antler Rub.
- Season with sea salt as desired. Roast everything except canned beets for 10 minutes.
- Stir and add beets.
- Roast for 10 to 20 more minutes until slightly browned.